Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Crock Pot Rice

Being a busy working mom and a NPC bikini competitor requires a lot of careful planning and time management.  Preparing healthy meals is a top priority for me and my family. That being said I am always looking for ways to make the process of cooking easier.  I always try to cook as much as possible in bulk a head of time, so when I can across the idea of using my slowcooker to cook my rice I was excited. It is very easy and the rice came out perfect.  Here is the basic recipe I used.

2 Cups Brown Rice
4 ½ Cups Water(use slightly more, than you would to prepare on the stove top)
Salt(optional)

Place all ingredients in the pot and cover.  Set the heat to low and cook about 3 hours.
**Be careful not to overcook because it will stick to the sides and make a mess of your crock pot.  If you are not ready to eat when it is finished, turn the heat to warm and add a small amount of water.

Flavoring  suggestions:
Use chicken broth instead of water
Chopped onion
Fresh Herbs
Crasins(dried cranberries)
Pine Nuts

No comments:

Post a Comment